Descendants of MEREDITH LAYNE
Information submitted by Lynn Bennett.
Generation No. 1
1. MEREDITH1 LAYNE was born November 15, 1805 in Surry County, North Carolina, and died December 06, 1895 in Kimper, KY. He married MARGARET PHILLIPS November 14, 1839 in Pike County, KY, daughter of ZACHARIAH PHILLIPS and ELIZABETH CHARLES.
Notes for MEREDITH LAYNE:
Meredith Layne was a full-blooded Cherokee of North Carolina, although some information indicates he was born in Virginia. Some researchers believe that the Betsy Layne Layne's are from Meredith's brother. The Meredith Layne line is from around Johns Creek/Kimper, which is only a few miles from Betsy Layne and Meta. Meredith and his brother have ties to a James Shannon Layne, who settled the Big Sandy. James Shannon Layne came to KY in 1790.
A family rumor says that Meredith Layne may have been born Dobkins or Dobbins. He killed a man in North Carolina over some land, and moved to Pike County, KY and changed his name to Layne.
More About MEREDITH LAYNE:
Fact 1: He was a land surveyor.
Fact 2: He owned 3000 acres in Johns Creek and Paints Creek.
Fact 3: Moved to Pike County, KY when he was 34.
Fact 4: Family lore is that Meredith's mother was a Cherokee princess.
Children of MEREDITH LAYNE and MARGARET PHILLIPS are:
2. i. THOMAS JEFFERSON2 LAYNE, b. 1843, Pike County, KY; d. June 23, 1927, Pike County, KY.
3. ii. JAMES MEREDITH LAYNE, b. 1841, Pike County, KY.
iii. MARTHA LAYNE, b. 1844, Scott County, VA; m. (1) ROBERT NORMAN; m. (2) JAMES MATISON GIBSON, October 09, 1873.
iv. HENDERSON LAYNE, b. 1846; m. RACHEL NORMAN.
v. SARAH MATILDA LAYNE, b. 1848; m. THOMAS F. WEST.
vi. JOHN NATHAN LAYNE, b. 1850.
vii. HARVEY LAYNE, b. 1852, Pike County, KY; d. 1915; m. ELLENDER FIELDS.
4. viii. NATHAN LAYNE, b. 1854.
ix. MARION LAYNE, b. 1856.
x. WILLIAM LAYNE, b. 1858.
xi. VIRGINIA LAYNE, b. 1861.
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS JEFFERSON2 LAYNE (MEREDITH1) was born 1843 in Pike County, KY, and died June 23, 1927 in Pike County, KY. He married LUCINDA COOPER December 13, 1871 in Magoffin Co, KY, daughter of THOMAS COOPER and MARY BAYS. To view of photo of this family CLICK HERE.
Children of THOMAS LAYNE and LUCINDA COOPER are:
5. i. LEONARD ENON3 LAYNE, b. January 21, 1888, Pikeville, KY; d. July 28, 1921, Pikeville, KY.
ii. BALLARD AARON LAYNE, b. September 26, 1882; m. EFFIE CARTER, September 27, 1922, Pike County, KY.
iii. DORA LAYNE, b. June 06, 1878, Pike County, KY; d. October 23, 1961, Pike County, KY; m. FREELING WEDDINGTON, April 13, 1898, In T J Layne's house In Pike Co, KY.
iv. JOHN CRITTENDON LAYNE, b. September 08, 1872, Pike County, KY; d. January 15, 1940, Cyrus, KY; m. CELICA J. ADAMS, September 30, 1893, Magoffin Co, KY.
v. RHODA ELLEN LAYNE, b. April 25, 1875, Pike County, KY; d. Pike County, KY; m. LEWIS BEVERLY WEST, March 11, 1901, Pike County, KY.
vi. WILLIAM CLAY LAYNE, b. May 19, 1880.
vii. ELIZABETH LAYNE, b. September 26, 1882.
viii. MINNIE LAYNE, b. March 13, 1889; m. GEORGE W. GOFF.
ix. ROBERT ARTHUR LAYNE, b. August 28, 1891, Pike County, KY; d. November 17, 1960, Pike County, KY; m. HATTIE G. BALL, March 20, 1915, Pike County, KY.
More About ROBERT ARTHUR LAYNE:
Fact 1: From familyn notes of Garlene Layne Lawson.
x. CHARLIE FRANK LAYNE, b. April 20, 1895, Pike County, KY; d. February 17, 1973, Pike County, KY; m. HAZEL LYDIA MAY, February 02, 1932, Pike County, KY.
3. JAMES MEREDITH2 LAYNE (MEREDITH1) was born 1841 in Pike County, KY. He married (1) MARION SLONE. He married (2) DISSY BLANKENSHIP September 17, 1854 in Pike County, KY, daughter of PRESSLEY BLANKENSHIP and POLLY. He married (3) SUZANNAH A BILLITER August 22, 1867 in Pike County, KY, daughter of CHARLES BILLITER and MARY GREEN.
More About MARION SLONE:
Fact 1: Name may have been Marian Bishop instead.
Children of JAMES LAYNE and MARION SLONE are:
i. THOMAS TURNER3 LAYNE, b. November 16, 1882; d. September 19, 1962, KY; m. (1) REBECCA JANE RATLIFF; m. (2) NANCY REYNOLDS.
ii. DELMON LAYNE, d. 1936, Pike County, KY; m. (1) REBECCA JUSTICE; m. (2) VINNIE MURPHY.
iii. VICTOR LAYNE, m. SARAH.
iv. NETTIE LAYNE, m. (1) PAUL STEEL; m. (2) PHILLIP MURPHY.
More About PHILLIP MURPHY:
Fact 1: He was killed in a mine cave-in.
4. NATHAN2 LAYNE (MEREDITH1) was born 1854. He married CLEMENTINE WILLIAMSON.
Child of NATHAN LAYNE and CLEMENTINE WILLIAMSON is:
i. FLORA ELLEN3 LAYNE, m. FLOYD RATLIFF.
Generation No. 3
5. LEONARD ENON3 LAYNE (THOMAS JEFFERSON2, MEREDITH1) was born January 21, 1888 in Pikeville, KY, and died July 28, 1921 in Pikeville, KY. He married BERTHA EDNA GOFF March 20, 1913 in Pike County, KY, daughter of ROLAND GOFF and MAGGIE JUSTICE. To view a photo of LEONARD LAYNE and BERTHA GOFF CLICK HERE
Children of LEONARD LAYNE and BERTHA GOFF are:
6. i. BRUCE BERNARD4 LAYNE, b. February 23, 1914; d. January 09, 1984, Warren, OH.
7. ii. GOLDA MAE LAYNE, b. February 17, 1916; d. Columbus, OH.
8. iii. IRELAND EVERETT LAYNE, b. June 22, 1919, Pike County, KY; d. August 22, 1990, Albany, GA.
9. iv. ERMA MARIE LAYNE
Generation No. 4
6. BRUCE BERNARD4 LAYNE (LEONARD ENON3, THOMAS JEFFERSON2, MEREDITH1) was born February 23, 1914, and died January 09, 1984 in Warren, OH. He married LAKIE BILITER.
Child of BRUCE LAYNE and LAKIE BILITER is:
i. GLIMA5 LAYNE.
7. GOLDA MAE4 LAYNE (LEONARD ENON3, THOMAS JEFFERSON2, MEREDITH1) was born February 17, 1916, and died in Columbus, OH. She married KARNES May 22, 1936.
More About GOLDA MAE LAYNE:
Fact 1: pronouced GOLDIE
Children of GOLDA LAYNE and KARNES are:
8. IRELAND EVERETT4 LAYNE (LEONARD ENON3, THOMAS JEFFERSON2, MEREDITH1) was born June 22, 1919 in Pike County, KY, and died August 22, 1990 in Albany, GA. He married NADINE WOOD December 08, 1945 in Blakely, GA, daughter of CHESLEY WOOD and THELMA HARRELL.
More About IRELAND EVERETT LAYNE:
Fact 1: His nickname was Jake.
Fact 2: He was born as Arland E Layne.
Fact 3: His name was changed to Ireland by school teacher, who misunderstood spelling.
More About NADINE WOOD:
Fact 1: Nickname DEAN
Children of IRELAND LAYNE and NADINE WOOD are:
10. i. MARY ALICE5 LAYNE
ii. RONALD AVERY LAYNE
iii. PATRICIA LAYNE, b. December 28, 1952, Pikeville, KY; d. May 30, 1984, MUSC Hospital, Charleston, SC; m. STEVE NEGRI