The first permanent settlment in Kentucky was begun
on March 15, 1775 by James Harrod at Harrodstown.
Harrodstown is now modern day Harrodsburg located
in Mercer County, Kentucky.
In June of 1776 George Rogers Clark and John Gabriel
Jones were elected to Virginia's new House of Delegates.
On December 7, 1776 the Virginia Assembly declined to
seat Clark and Jones and Kentucky County
out of Fincastle County, with Harrodsburg as its seat.
On June 1, 1792 Kentucky is separated from Virginia and is admitted to the Union as the 15th state.
Pike County was formed on December 19, 1821 from a part of Floyd County by act of the General Assemby of Kentucky under Governor John Adair. Pike County was named in honor of General Zebulon Pike. The first Pike County court was held on March 4, 1822 at the home of Spencer Adkins which was located just below where Levisa Fork meets the Russell Fork of the Big Sandy. A commission was appointed on March 25, 1822 to select a permanent county seat. Elijah Adkins donated one acre of land for the courthouse and was surveyed by James Honaker on March 23, 1824. The first courthouse was to be of hewed logs 24 feet square and 1 1/2 stories high covered with shingles. The first Post Office was called Pike and Will Smith was Postmaster. The name was changed to Piketon in 1829 and William Williams was Postmaster. The name was changed to Pikeville in 1881 and Lewis C. Dils was Postmaster. The first census of the city of Pikeville list 7 families with a total of 49 persons; 34 of those people were under 30 years of age.